This recipe is so very delicious. I never used to think a dough that didn’t contain gluten could taste so good, and be crunchy and chewy in all the right areas. This recipe, being gluten free, is great for someone with celiac disease or a gluten sensitivity. (Please note the adaptations in italics below for LEAP clients.) However, this recipe is a healthy option for ANYONE, to add some variety to your diet and provide an alternative to the standard “whole wheat” pizza crust. Brown rice is also a whole grain, so this recipe is not only delicious but nutritionally superior to white pizza crust.
If some of these ingredients look unfamiliar to you, that’s because they may be hard to find at your standard grocery store. However, they are available at most health food stores. Bob’s Red Mill is a wonderful company that sells affordable alternative grain products such as the flours listed below. Bob’s Red Mill products are available in health food stores and at http://www.bobsredmill.com/. Whole foods is also another great source: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/shop/. And, you can shop online at both of these links, a convenience I absolutely love!
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup 110 degree F milk (soy, cow, or rice)
- 2/3 cup brown rice flour or other allowed grain flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour (may substitute potato starch)
- 2 tsp xantham gum (may substitute guar gum or pre-gel starch) *
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey (or allowed sweetener), make sure honey is room temp
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (or any allowed oil)
- 2 Tbsp additional olive oil for working with dough (or any allowed oil)
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- ¼ tsp oregano
- ¾ tsp dried basil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine milk with yeast and honey/sweetener and allow to sit
- Blend brown rice flour, tapioca flour, xantham gum, oregano, basil, and salt in a separate bowl.
- Add olive oil, vinegar, and garlic to the bubbly liquid mixture. Combine with flour mixture and mix well with your hands
- Cover and let dough rest for 30 minutes
- Press dough onto greased pizza pan (may use additional olive oil) Bake for 10 minutes. Remove, add toppings, and bake another 10 minutes.
Makes 6 servings
Please comment below on how you like the recipe!